When we party on the Outskirt
When you launch something new, it seems fitting to throw a party. So, a party we threw.
We celebrated the launch of our new blog, Outskirt, by lining a laneway with HUGE light letters, overdosing our guests on sugar with donuts and cupcakes and tempting them to a next-day headache with wine. We invited the Geelong Creative community to join us to not only hear about the blog but to hear about all the exciting things in store for Geelong Creatives. Including some epic collaborative opportunities with Cotton On, Westfield and our favourite local cafe, King of The Castle.
One of the biggest challenges for creatives and alike is the sheer isolation that can come with it. It’s hard to get out and meet other creatives – which is due to a number of reasons. Say, our sheer awkwardness in socialising, the feeling of competition and rivalry or simply because there’s no event worth going to.
But meeting other creatives will actually do you a whole lotta good.
It helps you to realise you’re not the only one doing things a little differently.
A random conversation can spark a creative idea.
A chance encounter might nab you your biggest commission to date.
That was one of the reasons why we wanted to get offline and celebrate our blog. We’re passionate about providing you with the tools and inspiration to do what you need to do to get where you want to be, but we’re also pretty hung up on the idea of community. It’s human nature – we thrive in communities. And because we’re on the outskirts of society with our quirkiness, we still need community too.
Psst… there are more events on the horizon!
But back to the party. We couldn’t have done it without the support of some incredible talent.
First and foremost, our incredible sponsors:
- Geelong Creatives, our major partner and sidekick.
- North of The Hill, who provided the finishing touches to the decor with samples of the beautiful wares they stock in store. Pop in for a visit next time you’re in Geelong.
- Love Light Letters, who provided the most incredible, mind-blowing entrance to the party with their 1.2m tall light letters. Every single person made a comment on how much it wowed them. So wink, wink – hire them for your next party!
- 6ft6 Wine, for delicious wine.
- Two Birds Cakes by Melissa, who provided the branded mini-cupcakes that are currently being devoured as this is written…
- Peppa and Peach hire, who provided the beautiful decor and seating.
- Splash of Life Co, who supplied a memory box for suggestions. So much better than a plain ol’ white shoe box we were originally going to use!
- Amor + Grace, who dressed Kate in the most divine maternity dress.
Plus our suppliers:
- Uncle Donut
- Hilary Holmes and the Laneway Loft
- SPC Printing
- Sketch and Etch
And also, we cannot go without saying a huge heartfelt thank you to Tim Sonogan from Sonogan Design for all his help in the setup and preparation – particularly when you have one heavily pregnant lady and one with a bung knee! It’s the little things that go a long way.
From the three of us – Mon, Laura and Kate (as above) – we’re very thankful for the warm welcome to our online home. Keep on reading, we’ve got so much to share with you!